February 3, 2016
The Genesis Week – Introduction
The Genesis Week – Introduction
Introduction: – Psalm. 51:10. The Message Bible.
“God, make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life”
David is turning to the God of Creation. Genesis.1:1-3. The Genesis week starts.
v.1. Creation Heb = “Bara” v.2. Chaos – Holy Spirit waiting for God’s word to move.
v.3. Rom.10:17. First the WORD (sound), “Let there be light” restoration begins!
- Seek the Lord while He may be found.
- Call upon Him while He is near
- Let the wicked forsake his way. Wicked = iniquity.
- And the unrighteous man his thoughts (imagination)
- Let him return to the Lord.
- And He will have mercy on him.
- And to our God for He will abundantly (greatly, many) pardon.
Note:- Five things we must have done or experienced. “a to e”! Two things the Lord invariably will do in response! “f and g” Galations.6:7-8. ‘’Do not be deceived, for God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life”.
Additional comment:- NLT. Gal.6:7a. “Don’t be misled- you cannot mock the justice of God’’
Contextually these verses particular apply in this instance to support of ministry, the principle they reveal can be applied equally to other situations, prime example is David who deliberately ignored the Word of God to fulfill his own desire of the flesh. His actions resulted in severe consequences both himself and his family.
2. Samuel. 11 & 12. David’s fall and restoration.
- 11:1-5. Adultery – Bathsheba. v.1 & 5. Be sure sin will find you out! Exodus.20:14 & 17. James.1:13-15.
- 11:6-25. Attempts to deceive Bathsheba’s husband without success until David arranges for Uriah to be murdered on the battlefield. Exodus.20:13
- 11:26-26. David took Bathsheba to be his wife.
n.b. The only person David is deceiving is himself!
d. 11.27c. “ BUT THE THING THAT DAVID HAD DONE DISPLEASED THE LORD”
e. Psalm.32:1-7 & Psalm38:1-22. Describes mental & physical chaos of David.
f. David in terrible state of chaos – Holy Spirit is waiting for God and His prophet.
God’s grace and mercy revealed!
- 12:1-12. GOD SENDS HIS WORD – By Nathan the prophet – challenging David
- 12.7-9. v.8. Much! Much! More! Missed out on God’s full blessings. Jn.10:10b
- 12:13-15. v.13a “ I have greatly sinned against the Lord”
David has finally realized the enormity of his sinful behavior.
2. Psalm.51:1-17. David’s Psalm of Repentance. Face to face with God! OPEN! HONEST!Four important things to note:-
- He realized God’s grace responds “TO FAITH” REACHES OUT IN FAITH! Rom.5:1-2.
- From position of a SINNER – HE ASKS FOR DIVINE MERCY!
- He is convinced of GOD’S WILLINGNESS TO RESTORE!
- Also persuaded that GOD HAS THE POWER TO RESTORE.
v.1-13 & 17.
Note. v.10. David’s appeal for forgiveness is directed to the Creator, he has realized that he can do nothing personally to obtain restoration back into the grace and goodness of God.
He uses the strongest possible appeal for help!
Psalm.63:1-4, v.3. “Because your loving kindness is better than life”
Conclusion. Rom.4:1-8. Abraham and David were JUSTIFIED on the ground of FAITH